As healthcare providers, we know that excessive exposure to the sun is really bad for your skin, and as a surgical facility our main concern during the post surgical recovery period is the anxiety of our patients for going in the sun to show off their new slim, curved and shaped body.
A lot of people – living or not in Florida or sunny states – think that “looking tan” is the hottest accessory a person can wear, and for some reason just about everyone looks a lot better when they have some color. Right or wrong, the pale look is definitely out!
We are now offering Spray Tanning, the new service in our facility at Top Body Sculpting!
Basics of Spray Tanning
Spray tanning is a form of self tanning (or sunless tanning) where a fine mist is sprayed onto your body. This mist has an ingredient in it called Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) that interacts with your own skin’s chemistry to turn it tan or bronze. This temporary effect generally lasts from 3-7 days and is completely safe for your skin -although it doesn’t provide any protection against the sun’s rays-.
The results from tanning sprays are generally very good. Here at Top Body Sculpting, the tanning is applied with airbrush. This specially-designed device is small and easily handled to precisely spray your entire body with the tanning solution.
Benefits of Spray Tanning
All forms of self tanning and spray tanning use the same active ingredient, DHA, but that doesn’t mean the same results will be achieved with any product that has DHA in it. Comparing spray tanning to other forms of self tanning products, differences will be definitely found.
- Spray tanning is easy. Is just about going to a tanning salon or have someone come to your house.
- The technician will spray the entire body with a fine mist, and once blend it in a little, it is done
- It’s easier and less time-consuming than spreading a lotion or gel all over the body.
- Spray tanning dries quicker than other self tanning products, providing less risk to get all over your clothes, your bed, or your partner
- As for the color achieved with spray tanning, that varies from person to person.
- For the most part, spray tanning is considered fairly safe.
- In general, a single spray tanning session is very affordable
How to Prepare For a Spray Tanning Session
Before the appointment for spray tanning:
- Make sure shaving or waxing one day or two before the appointment
- Be sure to deeply exfoliate the skin the day before your appointment. The result will be amazing!
- Remove moisturizers, makeup and deodorant before spray tanning (These products contain ingredients that can make it hard for the main ingredient to bind to the skin causing the spray tan to look streaky and blotchy)
- Before application, put a little Vaseline or moisturizer on your knees, ankles, elbows, and palms, wear a shower cap, and put some lip balm on your lips. Protecting these areas from absorbing too much DHA is generally a good idea.
- Keep the spray tan solution on overnight and don’t put on any moisturizer until the next day. The color starts to develop within an hour or two and really kicks in within 3-5 hours.